There have been many media reports about the Zika virus. There are many popular vacation spots that have warnings about the potential for contracting it. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) note that:
- Zika virus disease (Zika) is caused by the Zika virus, which is spread to people primarily through the bite of an infected Aedes mosquito species.
- The most common symptoms of Zika are fever, rash, joint pain, and conjunctivitis (red eyes).
- The illness is usually mild, with symptoms lasting for several days to a week after being bitten by an infected mosquito.
- People usually don’t get sick enough to go to the hospital and rarely die of Zika.
- There is no vaccine to prevent Zika virus disease.
CLICK HERE for Zika prevention information and other general information from the CDC.
CLICK HERE for travel information from the CDC.
Via: Utica National