Motorcycle fatalities have dropped the past few years according to the Governors Highway Safety Association. Unfortunately, so has the reported use of helmets, so many motorcycle accidents cause serious head injuries.
States across the U.S. are hoping to decrease the number of motorcycle-related injuries and deaths by:
- Encouraging helmet use. Wearing a helmet is required in more than 20 states
- Training police to identify drunken motorcyclists and increasing high-visibility drunk driving enforcement
- Enforcing speed limits. More than 35% of motorcyclists involved in fatal crashes were speeding
- Making rider training more accessible, with more courses at convenient times
- Educating motorists about sharing the road with motorcycles