5 tips for party-goers:
1. Designate your sober driver or plan another way to get home safely before the party begins.
2. If you don't have a designated driver, ask a sober friend for a ride home; call a cab, friend, or family member to come and get you; or just stay in for the night.
3. Use your community's sober ride program.
4. Never let friends drive if they have had too much to drink.
5. Always buckle up – it's still your best defense against drunk drivers.
5 tips for hosts:
1. You can be held liable and prosecuted if someone you served ends up in a drunk-driving crash.
2. Make sure all of your guests designate their sober drivers in advance or help arrange alternate transportation.
3. Serve lots of food and include lots of non-alcoholic beverages at the party.
4. Stop serving alcohol at the end of the third quarter of the game and begin serving coffee and dessert.
5. Keep the numbers for local cab companies handy, and take the keys away from anyone who has had too much to drink.
The NHTSA website offers additional information about the dangers of impaired driving.
Via: Utica National